Sunday 4 May 2014

When the Universe Speaks to Us

I love it when the universe speaks to us.

Last night, we went to my son's soccer party.  It was a beginning of the season, getting-to-know each other, team-building party.  Bring your families, bring food and drink to share and get to know each other at the place of the family with the biggest house.

So we are there, getting to know each other, having the kind of conversation you do when you are getting to know each other.

"What part of town do you live in?" asks a pretty, blond woman whose right to be at the party is through her son Ben.

"The Glebe."

"Oh, I love that neighbourhood.  We used to live there many years ago.  Then we moved to the States for a few years, and then when we came back, we couldn't find a house in the Glebe."

So I ask more questions about her move to the States and her return to Ottawa and her neighbourhood.

Then, she says, "But I really do miss the Glebe.  Walking to work, and that cute little daycare on Fifth Avenue that Ben went to."

"Oh yeah, he went to that daycare?  So did Aveen.  Hey, they're the same age.  They probably went there together!"

So, it turns out that not only did Aveen and Ben go to daycare together, but they were each other's first best friends!  I remember that traumatic time when Ben's family moved away.  Everyday, afterwards, for weeks, Aveen would go to daycare and ask where Ben was.  Everyday, he would have to be told that Ben moved away, and the crying would start again, fresh heartbreak everyday.

When I told Aveen the story, he said that what is even more coincidental is that he and Ben met each other last year, before they crossed paths at soccer, at sports camp, and became friends with each other. 

I think the universe is pulling them together and telling them to be friends.  I believe it is important to listen to the universe.

That is why I went for the mammogram on Friday.  Even though, when I called the nurse, she said it must have been a mistake because there was nothing in my records to show that the doctor had intended me to have a mammogram.  Well, first of all, I wasn't completely convinced it was a mistake (I had asked the person who had called me for the appointment if it could be a mistake - she was convinced it wasn't), and I asked her to double check with the doctor.  It is not clear what the doctor actually said, but it came back as it was probably a good idea for me to have a mammogram in any case.  Mistake or not, I believe the universe was telling me to have a mammogram.

So off I went, back to the Riverside, back there sooner than I intended.  The good thing was that a mammogram is not nearly as terrible as I had thought.  Really, it barely hurts at all!  Not fun, for sure, but not as bad as its reputation.  And the technician was excellent!

However, now I have to worry about the result.  I could have not gone for the test.  And I could choose not to worry.  But c'mon, who is able to actually have a mammogram and not worry?  Especially someone who has already had cancer?

The universe reunited Aveen and Ben.  I think the universe made me have a mammogram.  I hope the universe has some good news for me this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment