Thursday 10 October 2013

There are flowers in my salad

It was all right!

After two weeks of waiting, Jaime and I trudged to the General Hospital. 

"The doctor is running an hour late," the receptionist cheerfully announced when we got there.

Oh great. 

I tried to find a magazine, but couldn't find anything.  "The selection isn't very good, is it?"  someone said to me.

No.

I walked up and down and the halls for a while, because I don't like to sit still, especially in hospital waiting rooms.  Especially when I am waiting for test results.  I looked out the window.  Two interns were sitting outside chatting.  One was eating an apple.  Another had a coffee.  At another table, another doctor/intern/nurse was eating lunch.

At a certain point, I wasn't even worried anymore.  I was BORED out of my mind.  I was so bored that I played maze games on my iPhone.  My kids would have been so surprised because I never play games. 

Finally, after almost two hours, I was called.

"Hi.  I'm a third year student.  I'm just going to ask you a few questions before the doctor sees you.  Sorry for the wait."

Which wait?

She proceeded to ask me a million questions.  She didn't find any of my answers interesting.  (Good.)  

I am having a pain in my leg.

"Can't help you with that.  Go see your family doctor."

(I did.  He didn't really care.)

"Anything else?"

"Well, I really want to know my ultrasound result."

"The doctor will be in to talk to you about that."

More waiting.

Finally, the doctor arrived in the room.  A locum, replacing my actual doctor who is on sabbatical.  (Doctors go on sabbatical?)

More questions.

Finally, "Everything looks fine."

Why was it so hard to tell me??

"We'll do another test in 6 months."  Because you can never be too careful with kidneys, apparently.  Jeesh, they are more careful with this than the other thing.

"I'm not driving you for the test in 6 months," Jaime informs me.

The rest of the week has been exceptionally normal.  School, homework, piano, and getting used to my new job.   

In my latest bag of leafy greens from Nicastro are pretty yellow and orange flowers.

"Do we eat them?"  Jaime and I wonder.  "They probably wouldn't leave them in there if you couldn't eat them, would they?"  We reason. 

This is all the adventure I want for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment