Friday 26 July 2013

I am a secret agent

One of my classmates, whose first language is not English and is having a tough time, asked me how he can pass the French oral exam.  He says he can pass any exam, but not the French oral exam. 

This is the advice I gave him: " You have to suspend who you are and play a role.  You have to be a figure skater who doesn't fall on the double and triple axils." 

I have suspended who I am in French class.  My lovely, bubbly afternoon French teacher has no idea what my last six months have really been.  I maintain a light and airy existence insofar as French class is concerned and she thinks my life is all about swimming at a tennis club and soccer practices and socials.  Which it sort of is at the moment.  But not really.

I've even lied about my job.  As far as my French class is concerned, I still work on the CPP.  Because I haven't really worked since I switched files.  I know the CPP vocabulary.  I know the issues.  My teachers don't even bother to ask me about my work.  They say I already know that.

I lie about other things too.  To stay within the role.

Maybe this is what a secret agent feels like. 

No comments:

Post a Comment