Friday 5 July 2013

Turns out that riding a horse is good therapy

We went to Montebello this weekend, and it was almost exactly how I imagined it would be.

The weather cleared up, just as we arrived (in less than hour, via the new Highway 50).  We were able to play tennis and mini-golf and go swimming in the outdoor pool (which is way nicer than the Chateau Montebello's indoor pool).  It was my first swim since it all happened and it was wonderful!  We stayed in the pool almost the whole weekend!

In the evening, we took at walk along the river and passed a stable.  Amrita remembered the pony rides she took in Paris a few years ago.  She wanted to try horse back riding.  So, the next day, Amrita and I decided to try it.  Amrita rode a black horse named Fury while I was led to a brown horse named Jessie.  The guide promised to take good care of Amrita and we started off on our path alongside the river and then through the woods. 

Jessie proved to be a fairly well behaved horse.  She surprised me from time to time by picking up quite a bit of speed going down slopes but was mostly co-operative.  Riding a horse was both thrilling and relaxing and a little bit scary.  Especially down hills.  And hanging for dear life turns out to be a good way to really be present in the moment, which is my goal. 

After all that swimming and horseback riding and tennis, I had that really good achy feeling which I hadn't felt in a long time. I was sad when it went away. 

Back in the city, a friend invited me and Amrita as guests to an outdoor pool club and we had such a nice time that I bought a membership for us. So now I can go swimming in an outdoor pool all summer and  hopefully have that nice feeling all summer!

No comments:

Post a Comment